Well, the Agile Admins have handed the reins of DevOpsDays Austin off to a new generation! And DoDA 2023 is coming up next week! I’ll be there, participating rather than wrangling for once…
Shaun Mouton, one of the new core organizers, asked me to share an annotated overview of items which may be of interest to attendees! So read on, and hope to see you out at the conference.
Austin musical notes
for Visitors and Interested Parties
DevOpsDays Austin 2023 is coming up quite soon, and I thought I’d mention for the out-of-towners and folks who might want to know that there are some decent shows happening around the same time:
May 3rd: The Black Dahlia Murder w/Terror, etc at the Mohawk
- Metalheads, trudge through some sludge. TBDM is here.
Daisy The Great at Antone’s
- If twee indie pop heavy on harmony is your thing get your fill of Brooklyn’s darling sextet at Antone’s. Portland’s Olive Klug is playing too and this will probably be a really fun show.
The Drakes at Saxon Pub
- The Drakes put on a tremendous rock n roll show at one of Austin’s classic venues.
Arc Angels at Gruene Hall
- I can’t make this show and I’m bummed about it. You should go catch this Hill Country supergroup at one of Texas’ finest music venues.
Warren Hood at ABGB
- I’ve heard good things about his shows but haven’t made it yet. Still, I feel pretty comfortable recommending this one.
Wednesdays with W.C. Clark at Pinballz Kingdom in Buda
- The Godfather of Austin Blues lays it down. W.C.’s still got it and you can get it too.
Libby and the Loveless
- Sam’s Town Point is a great place to hang out and see a show, and L&tL (nobody calls them that) will play a fine mix of country standards.
Michael Hale Organ Trio & Sketch at C-Boy’s Heart & Soul Bar
- If you’re coming to Austin for the first time or haven’t been to C-Boy’s you might want to make this show. Great venue, great music.
Matt the Electrician & friends at The 04 Center
- Matt’s fantastic, this is likely to be a great show, and the 04 is a good venue for them.
May 4th: Lil Wayne at Stubb’s
- I might skip out on evening events if I can make this one. Sorry y’all, it’s Tha Carter.
Tennis at ACL Live at the Moody Theater
- Tennis is a bit precious, but if you’re into it they’re a lot of fun. Dance it out at the Moody.
Barbara Nesbitt & Friends at The Continental Club Gallery
- I’m getting a little annoyed writing these now, there’s so much to see. Nesbitt’s voice is a delightful slice of Americana.
Two Step Lessons
- You’ve got good choices if you want to learn how to two-step on Thursday. Sam’s Town Point and the White Horse cater to newbies who want to learn how to put a little twang in their electric slide.
Large Brush Collection, Little Mazarn, Jenny Carson at Feels So Good
- FSG started out as a differently named screenprinting shop and showed up at a few local tech conferences making shirts for attendees to-order. They’re chill people and put on a great series of shows at the shop.
Greg Koch at the 04 Center
- Pretty sure Koch is going to tear the A-frame roof of the sucker. If you’re into groovy six-string acrobatics this will be a fun outing.
The Arc Angels with Madam Radar at Riverbend Centre
- Again, probably going to have to miss this one For Reasons, but I’m not happy about it. Grab this chance to see some of our local greats burn the house down.
Manny Velazquez at the Little Longhorn Saloon
- Manny V knows country music, puts on a good show, and Austin’s lucky to have him. Classic country sound at a fun little venue.
May 5th: The Blues Specialists at The Continental Club
- The Blues Specialists have been holding down the Continental Club for ages with their Texas-style jump blues. If that sounds even a little like your jam, it’s absolutely your jam. Get you to the Continental, friend.
The Psychedelic Furs at ACL Live at the Moody Theater.
- You a Furs fan? This would be a decent opportunity to catch them. The Moody Theater is a fine place to see a show. Oh, and apparently Evan Dando too, as a treat.
Charlie Robison at Gruene Hall
- Charlie Robison is a genuine Austin treasure, and Gruene Hall is a stellar venue to see him perform. One of the finest singer-songwriters to come out of a town overflowing with them.
Wild Child at Emo’s
- Austin indie pop band, they’ve got a lot of fun songs. The vocalist reminds me of my favorite New Orleans chanteuse.
Austin tasty eats
local food recommended by a local (it me, I grew up here)
Start here with this guide from Paul Czarkowski and friends for stuffing your face around this place. It could be somewhat out of date, things change pretty fast around here. I’ll add some notes of my own here even though I’ve contributed to that before:
Central TX BBQ
- Don’t bother with the BBQ sides, it’s all about the meat. Have a nice salad somewhere else before and after or maybe a smoothie from Juiceland. Kerlin BBQ has sadly closed up shop, although they do still sell tasty kolaches. Gourdough’s may have closed too, which would be a blessing for my waistline.
- These are still pretty hot right now, but prepare yourself. You dip the tacos in the cup of consomme and it all drips, this ain’t for fancy dress occasions. Bring extra napkins, and eat em fast before the tacos cool off from the griddle.
La Tunita 512 – 2400 Burleson Rd
- this was one of Austin’s first offerings for quesabirria de res, and they’re delicious.
- There’s Tacodeli and Torchy’s for the white people food that’s pretty tasty, and then there are tacos. These are taco joints.
Cuantos Tacos – 1108 E 12th St
- Located about a mile away from the Alumni Center, Cuantos serves the sort of tacos you might find in CDMX. They’re good.
Veracruz All Natural (and Veracruz Fonda)
- Somewhat fancy, somewhat down-to-earth, Veracruz is tasty and I am happy to recommend them to you.
Other Items Of Interest
If you’re spending any amount of time here and need something not covered by this guide feel free to holler at me on whatever social media platform you favor and can find me, I’ll be happy to come up with something that’ll put a smile on your face. I’m glad you’re going to be at the conference, please say hi or wave in my general direction if you get a chance!