Besides the “big one,” DevOpsDays Austin 2013, there’s a bunch of great events going on in Austin for techies.
The Agile Austin DevOps SIG meets every last Wednesday over lunch at Bazaarvoice; lunch is provided. This month’s meeting on January 30 is Breaking the Barriers.
The Austin Cloud User Group meets every third Tuesday in the evening at Pervasive; dinner is provided. This month’s meeting is January 15, sponsored by Canonical, and there is a talk on Openstack Quantum, the network virtualization platform.
South by Southwest Interactive is here of course on March 8-12.
Hip security event BSides Austin is on March 21-22.
Data Day Austin is on January 29.
Texas Linux Fest will be May 31 – June 1.
It’s never been a better time to be a techie in Austin!
Austin is such a great place to be a techie.
- The Austin Cloud User Group (I help run it) meets every third Tuesday evening, and we’ve ben having 50+ people come in to check out some awesome stuff. Next meeting Feb 21 on Puppet, hosted by Pervasive.
- The Agile Austin DevOps SIG meets fourth Wednesdays, we had our meeting today and had about 20 attendees, hosted by CA/Hyperformix. I also help run that one.
- The Austin Big Data User Group is back meeting – next one is tomorrow night! Hosted by Bazaarvoice.
- The Austin OWASP chapter is one of the biggest and most active in the country, and also meets monthly, hosted by National Instruments. Fellow Agile Admin James Wickett helps run that group.
- The Cloud Security Alliance, Austin chapter is just getting started but has a lot of momentum and we’re coordinating with them from the ACUG and OWASP sides. Their first meeting is tonight, come out!
There are others but those are my favorites and therefore the coolest by definition.
There’s also cool events coming up you should keep an eye out for.
- DevOpsDays Austin, Apr 2-3, hosted by National Instruments, and this’ll be big! Patrick Debois and the whole crew of DevOps illuminati will be here. Now taking sponsors and speakers! Register now!
- AppSec USA 2012, Oct 23-26 – Austin OWASP kicks so much ass with LASCON that the annual OWASP convention is coming here to Austin this year!
- South by Southwest Interactive, March 9-13 – quickly becoming theWeb conference in the flyover states :-). Lots of stuff happens during it, like:
- Austin Cloud/DevOps party courtesy GeekAustin (ACUG is a community sponsor). March 10.
- CloudCamp – Dave Nielsen will be bringing a CloudCamp to Austin again this year during SXSWi. Details TBD, sounding like Mar 11 maybe.
- The Cloud Security Alliance and ACUG are hoping to put together an Austin cloud conference, too. Maybe early 2013.
Two of the Agile Admins, Peco and Ernest, are at the new Strata conference in San Jose this week. It’s about “Data Science” and “Big Data” – the confluence of the NoSQL movement, cloud computing, and the Petabyte Age. We now have the ability to gather more data than ever before, and even process it effectively, and this will be transformative to business and society.
We’ll be bringing you interesting things we find out from the conference, inasmuch as the shaky wireless allows.
Yesterday, we attended a variety of tutorials, and I’m sitting in the keynotes right now on the first day of the “main” conference. You can follow along with the keynotes at strataconf.com/live and most presenters are getting their slides and materials up on the site as well. It’s been good so far, stand by for more!